Saturday 23 January 2016

Vintage Telephone

Our third task after the lamps and barrel texturing was to create a vintage phone. The one provided is shown below and initially I thought it was quite daunting, but once I began looking at it as if it's just a bunch of shapes, it seems a lot easier. 

I started off by making the base. I started this by making a 4 sided pyramind, removing the top segment of it, and then using fill hole to create a new, flat face. I then extruded that face upwards and then slightly outwards to create the part where the phone holder will sit. At the bottom of the phone I started by extruding down and then outwards slightly in order to create the part that sticks out slightly. When it comes to the unfinished dial, I simply created a cylinder and extruded it multiple times. 

The phone holder part was a bit trickier. I started with a small cylinder and extruded it multiple times, then added in a couple more cylinders and then a couple of slightly squashed spheres. I then placed a larger sphere on top, rotated it 90˚ and then extruded along both centre points of the sphere so I could then connect them to other spheres. The curved point was simply the centre point of a sphere bridged to another centre point of a sphere.

To finish of the phone holder I simply just place in more spheres and extruded on two centre points of a sphere to create the prongs. I then duplicated this and mirrored it to the other side.

The handle of the phone itself started off as cylinder that I repeatedly extruded along both sides until I reached the point that it reached through to longer, thinner cylinders, where I extruded them separately. I extruded the initial part together so that it was symmetrical, but once it reached the sphere I continued working on them separately.

Both the ear and mouth piece of the phone were just created by extruding the sphere. I started on the top part of the spheres since it would be the easiest bits to do. The earpiece was fairly straightforward to make, as it mostly revolved around pulling down edges that I had extruded. The mouth piece started like this too, but once it reached the big curve part, then things began to get tricky. Originally, I planned to just bridge between the point I had left off at and a cylinder I had created as seen below, but when I did this it caused huge problems such as faces clipping through each other and other faces disappearing entirely, so I left the phone for a little while to think about how to go about this.

I eventually realised that I am going to have to extrude along the edges and slowly rotate and expand them each time in order to get the mouth piece quite right, so I decided to just crack on with it, although it was incredibly tedious and took a very long time, but I did create mouth piece which I think does look pretty accurate to the photo. I went back to the neck of the phone holder and created the two odd panel like pieces that stick out. I did this by creating a cylinder, removing half of it, using the fill hole tool to create a large face down the side, extruded that along, duplicated it so there was one for the other side, and then bridging them to a thin cylinder in the neck already.

At this point the phone was pretty much finished, although I still had a few things left to finish, such as the dial, the wire and the small holes for the mouth and ear pieces. Since we was recently shown how to make the wire I decided to try working on that whilst it was fresh on my mind, but the only problem I had was whenever I tried to create the wire and edit it, my laptop would crash, but I have started getting it to work now after reducing some of the shapes on the phone (since some overlapped) and removing unnecessary objects.

So the wire is virtually done and I've realised that it will probably be easier to include the holes for the ear and mouth piece via texturing, just purely because of how I've made it.

I created the wires using the technique shown to us previously, and then I combined the wires and bridged the ends of the two together so they became one wire.

I bridged the top of the wire to the phone itself, but before that I did have to extrude the two sets of faces a few times in order for them to align and actually allow me to bridge them together. I also bridged the wire at the bottom into the base of the phone. I then moved the dial up and rotated it so it could be placed onto the phone's base. At this point the phone was completed in terms of modelling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment