Saturday 26 September 2015

BA1a (1): Further designs and character sheet

After creating the various initial designs, I chose the design that looked a bit like a cupcake because I felt it was the most unique. Despite having this design, a lot of the details were still hidden, so I decided to sketch out a few possible ideas of what each body piece could look like. The main thing I looked at to start with was any insects with fur, or had the appearance of fur, and the three that stood out were bees, flies and moths. Immediately flies and bees stood out more then the moth simply from an anatomical stand point: bees and flies are a rounder when compared to a moths, which are more elongated. 

Below are some quick sketches and shapes that could possibly be used for my insect. In the top right are some eye designs, top centre are some head designs from both the front and the side. Middle right are a couple of wing designs, middle centre are some feet designs, middle left are some body designs, and bottom left are some leg designs. 

The furry body without as many tufts immediately stood out to me as the one I should use because it gives off a wild or feral vibe without being too much to look at. When placing the two head designs over the torso (visible at the bottom), the pointed head suits the body a lot better. Due to how I wanted the wings to be able to fold around the body, the more water droplet-like one just suited it better because of the symmetry.



I started my character board off by beginning to draw a template for my insect that I could use for a flight sequence. When looking back at my concept design for my insect, I noticed that my insect's legs do not match it's body because of how it has a rounder and cuter body, where as the legs are very stick-like, so I have replaced them with small claws to continue the small, rounder body shape. The template was simply duplicated multiple times with the wings drawn at different positions to give the impression of flight. I then did the same with a walk cycle, using exactly the same technique only changing their feet instead of their wings.

Once these were done I then coloured each one in grey in order to make them stand out a bit more, and then reorganised them on the page so that I could fit in some different colour schemes, as well as a name for each one and a small image recreating the insect hiding inside it's wings. I also decided to include the size dimensions of my insect for a rough idea of scale.

I expanded the width of the image so that I could include the reasoning behind the flight pattern and the different colour schemes, as well as just giving my insect a little bit of a backstory.

My insect has be genetically altered over time so that it can easily be bred to have a large variety of subspecies that, although don't look any different beyond the colours, actually have large differences in abilities and behaviours so that they can be used for a wide variety of situations during war.

No comments:

Post a Comment