Thursday 24 September 2015

BA1a (1): Designs from the Silhouettes

When I began working inside the silhouettes to create some more detailed designs, I realised that I had drawn the legs too thin to add much, if any, detail to, as well as possibly making them too simple, so I decided to redraw the designs inside the silhouettes.

I picked a select few silhouettes to use as a template and simply redrew them as already stated. The resulting designs are as follow:
The first design is easily my favourite one, and was mainly inspired by the idea of having a chrysalis-like or pod-like body because of my idea of having an insect stuck in the middle of pupation, although realistically this body shape would be incredibly difficult to manoeuvre with.


The second design is supposed to be some kind of insect using a baseball cap as a shell, which I thought would be an interesting design for an insect and a shell. The common green shieldbug also greatly inspired the basic idea for this insect in terms of colour scheme and basic body shape.


 The third design was inspired by a mixture of a black garden ant and the giraffe weevil, with a heavier influence from the giraffe weevil in terms of colour scheme and general body shape, whilst the ant inspired the head design. I'm not overly keen on it's design because it looks a bit too generic.


The fourth design was inspired by a Pokemon called Swadloon, which is inspired by the Silver-spotted Skipper butterfly during chrysalis, where the caterpillar folds leaves around themselves as a form of shelter, but instead of using leaves, it is using it's wings. From looking at the silhouette I noticed that it slightly looked like a cake, and a Victoria sponge eventually inspired the colour scheme.


As the first design was my favourite, I decided to duplicate it and tweak some of the features on it like the colour scheme and body parts. 

The three designs above are slight designs of the first insect design. The first of these was designed to look like various leaves or like it lived in a forest environment. The pattern used on it was simply the brush tool with slightly lighter colour tones to it's body. The second design was designed to look a lot more nocturnal and almost mystical, so I chose purples and blacks for the body, with some luminous pinks to act like lights on the body. The pattern on it's back is meant to replicate electricity like a novelty plasma ball in order to give off a more mystical appearance. The third design is intended to look a lot more vicious then the others, with a lot of reds, larger wings and claws, and different eyes. I really like the first two designs because they match their intentions really well and fit the general design as well, although I have been put off from using this insect design after realising that it has a very very similar body shape and silhouette to a Pokemon called Volcarona.



As I also liked the fourth design from my initial four designs, I decided to start working on some more for it after deciding not to use the first design. 
The design above is a slight redesign of the original, and although I like the idea behind it, I'm not keen on how I've been executing it's design, so redesigned it, making it look more like a cupcake instead.
The four designs above are all simply colour palette swaps, but I immediately preferred this design a lot more over the others. Each colour palette is designed to look like a type of flavour common for cupcakes, so vanilla, strawberry, red velvet and chocolate mint. With this design, the idea behind it is that it has a furry body and a large head, with it's wings encasing and hiding it's body and legs, making it look roughly like a cupcake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment