Sunday 13 December 2015

Using Maya for a character design

To step away a bit from constantly making lamps I decided to try and create a character I have created in my own time called L3D.


Below is my current design for L3D, a simple levitating robot.

L3D is pretty simple which is why I decided to try and make him, as I could use him as a practice model for UV mapping. The body was simply made from a sphere whilst his head is just a sphere and a bent circular pyramid, created using the same tool to bend the neck of my gumball lamp. The hands however were a lot harder to create, and I started off with flattened spheres and some cylinders as seen below. However I decided to leave these for quite a while as I could not figure out how to create the fingers properly.

I decided to leave this model for quite a while since I really did not know how to create the hands (although it was recommended multiple times that I create them in ZBrush, I wanted to test what I could really do in Maya, and focus on more natural objects in ZBrush). I eventually realised how I could create the hands after a Maya session which briefly showed us the Bridge function, essentially creating a connection between two selected faces or edges.

I created the fingers by creating two cylinders and a cone, rotating and moving them into position and then bridging them along the flat faces. Then I simply tweaked the new edge created during bridge so that it was more pointed as opposed to a flat line.

We was also shown materials in Maya and how different ones work in different ways, such as Blinn being good for metals, so I decided change the material of L3D's model to this since he is meant to be a robot, as well as changing the colour to green.

All that is left now really is to finish off the palms and merge or combine the two separate parts of the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment