Wednesday 24 February 2016

Pillar designs and inspiration

Our fourth task is to create a pillar, and it has to be altered within ZBrush in some way, essentially being similar to the first task of "make a lamp", but with the additional process of ZBrush. This seemed daunting at first considering how confusing ZBrush was when I used it before, but I'm interested in getting to know it better.

Below are some initial designs I came up with for my pillar. They were inspired by a mixture of things. For example, the one on the far right was inspired by a silly ornament I own, the one to the left of it includes a test tube and is a concept for something to do with a character design I have been working on, and the far left one (one with the man) was actually inspired by the video game Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Personally my favourites are the man pillar and the test tube-like pillar, although at the moment I am struggling to decide which to go with, so for the moment I shall be making both of them within Maya and will decide from there.

The man pillar was inspired by the titular character of The Binding of Isaac, as seen below, but also by Hatty Hattington from the video game Battleblock Theatre. It is mostly the simplistic design to them that inspired it, but I felt this works a lot better for a pillar as opposed to a more realistic design.

The 'silly ornament' I mentioned that inspired the rock-like pillar is below. I have absolutely no idea what this ornament is from beyond having bought it from a charity shop, and am convinced that it is just something someone glued together in their spare time.

The tube-like one was inspired by the general idea of some sort of test tube or cryostasis tube used in fiction to create clones or freeze people. My example below is a deleted scene from the movie Pokemon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back, where Mewtwo is created within a tube filled with liquid.

As for the other pillars, they are all fairly uninspired, and were simply just random things I thought of, which I did not like anyway.

http://www.giantbomb.com/hatty-hattington/3005-26119/
http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Characters
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/index.php?title=Category:Mewtwo&filefrom=M16+poster+alternate.png#mw-category-media

No comments:

Post a Comment