Thursday 18 February 2016

Bronzong and Klefki

After making the Hydra Splatling I decided I wanted to make a couple of Pokemon since I thought it would be quite interesting to make them. Because I have very little experience with ZBrush, I wanted to work solely in Maya, meaning these Pokemon would need to be more artificial looking ones. 

I started with a simple one, Bronzong. 

This was relatively simple to make. It started off with a cylinder that I extruded a little bit at the top, and expanded at the bottom to create that slightly wider base. The top segment was just another cylinder cut in half, central faces removed and then faces at the bottom filled. I then cut the entire thing down the middle, and then began extruding one fill faces downwards to create the arm, and then bridged two small cylinders to the top. Once this part was finished I mirror it over to the other side and then added the eyes to the main body. It was pretty simple to make, but I was satisfied with it as I felt like I could of done a better job with it, so I moved onto another Pokemon (although this model will still be UV mapped and textured).

This is the UV map I made for Bronzong, which was almost completely Planar mapped, although the main body was cylindrically mapped.

This is the final texture map that I made. It was very finicky to make and resulted in me having to go constantly backwards and forward between saving this as a PNG and placing it onto the model in Maya to see how it looked. Multiple problem also rose due to me not scaling all the UV shells properly, resulting in some parts of the texture looking pixelated or off when the texture is placed on the model. I also noticed that whilst I was texturing it that it is quite disproportionate compared to it's actual models, so various parts of it look off when compared to official artwork of it, but regardless of this it still is obvious on what it is.

This is the final model once the texture is placed over the top of it, and honesty I think it looks pretty good, although not as good as it could of been if I both scaled the shells properly and made the proportions more accurate. As stated earlier, the errors are obvious when compared to actual artwork of the Pokemon, but on it's own it looks pretty accurate in my opinion, and despite the errors I feel I did a good job on this.


This was the next Pokemon I decided to make: Klefki, a small keyring Pokemon. Whilst this seems very simple to make, I wanted to make it for a mixture of really liking this Pokemon and looking at it and realising how I could experiment with a lot of different tools in order to make it.


Much like the Hydra Splatling, I neglected to take many screenshots of the creation process, but I started off with a simple cylinder for the head and extruded the bottom centre point downwards multiple times to create the sack-like appendage. The top centre point was next and was extruded upwards to create the key-like head piece. To create the small parts that extended outwards, I extruded a few faces running down the very top part of this key-like part, with the top one being extruded further. I then used the Multi-Cut tool to places edges around the ends of these two parts so that when I smooth it later on, they remain more rectangular then curved. Next to do was the arms (the ring part of its main body), done simply be create a curve around the model, creating a cylinder and using the constrain options to assign the cylinder to the curve (exactly the same technique used for the phone's wire). This was then duplicated and mirror to the other side. With it's main body done, all that was left to do was the keys.

These were a lot of fun to make, and the second key from the right was surprisingly complex to make. The furthest keys on the right and left were simply cubes which flattened and then extruded and pulled along the faces, and then by creating a cylinder, adding subdivision caps and removing all but the top, outer ring faces, I had a flat ring which I could place in, remove some of the faces on the key, and then combine and bridge together to make a small hole for a thin torus to go through. The furthest key on the right simply just had some centre faces removed and then bridged together on the sides, but also had some of the edges on the key brought inwards to created the ridged look. The two centre keys were a bit harder to do. The left central key was just a cylinder and a torus combined together, with the cylinder having a few faces extruded outwards and then multi-cuts applied to make it remain more cuboid when smoothed out. The right central key followed the same premise, but with the cylinder extended, the torus replaced with a cylinder and the extruded cuboid part having the middle edge pulled inwards to create the triangular look to it. The ring part of the key was the most challenging part here, as I had to cut the cylinder in half, extrude the face in towards the centre of the cylinder multiple time and then mirror it. Then I had to extrude the faces on these that were on the opposite side to the key part and pull them outwards gradually to create that curved part there. Then I had to apply the same technique that I used on the further left key to this one, but with a larger cylinder, and had to match the cylinder's faces to the amount that surrounded it so they they could easily be bridged together. Then I had to attach the key to this part when it was done, which was accomplished by deleting the faces and bridging them altogether, as well as having to use the Fill Hole tool due to the amount of faces not match.

Overall, I think Klefki was by far my best and most favourite model I've made so far. When creating these two, I had the video game Pokemon Omega Ruby running to aid me with anything that I could not see with their official artwork. This worked really in my favour, as I could get a proper look at each of them and judge proportions better. I will be UV mapping and texturing these soon.

Below is the UV map I created for this Klefki model. Most of it was Planar mapped, but the main body was done by spherically mapping it. Some parts of this model I decided not to unfold, specifically the cylindrical keys, because all that needed to be applied to them was a singular colour.

This is the final texture. Klefki doesn't really have much detail on it so a lot of it is grey, but I did need to add some details to a couple of the keys and add the face and droplet to the main body, which did not take long to make, and in fact I spent most of the time just tweaking the face in order to get everything placed and scaled right.

This is the final model of Klefki, which I am very happy with because I think it resembles Klefki pretty well. I made the model have a Blinn texture in the hope that it would give the texture a metallic appearance so it would save me texturing that sort of thing onto it, and it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment